Family & Innovative Supports
How we can help
Navigating services for, or as a person with intellectual and developmental disabilities can be overwhelming and stressful – we can guide you to obtain the services that will allow you or a loved one live a full, rich and dynamic life.
The Family and Innovative Supports team can support people with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their families in negotiating all available resources to help meet current and future needs.
- We facilitate the intake process for all types of services (Residential services, Day services as well as Respite) and make referrals to resources you may be able to access.
- We help to ensure that all people receiving supports through IAHD continue to have access to all state and federal benefits.
- We assist people receiving supports to live and work in an environment they desire.
- We lead family support groups, provide training and up to date information to families.
- We assist with questions of legal guardianship and citizenship or other immigration status issues for individuals receiving services.
- We assist with Informed Consent and act as a liaison to the Surrogate Decision Making Committee.
When to contact Family and Innovative Service
If a person with intellectual and developmental disabilities and/or their family:
- Is looking for services
- Would like to change where they live
- Would like to try out a different day activity
- Is looking for additional services or a change in services
Here are some resources you might find helpful:
- Medicaid: health.ny.gov/health_care/medicaid/
- Social Security Administration: socialsecurity.gov
- Eligibility, Front Door, Services and Supports from Office for People with Developmental Disabilities: opwdd.ny.gov
- Special Needs Trusts, Estate Planning: www.specialneedsalliance.org
- Guardianship: www.nycourts.gov/COURTS/nyc/surrogates/index.shtml
Health & Well Being